Looking for your next active family adventure abroad? Well, if you thought Kathmandu was out of your budget, think again. Full disclosure, you’re going to have to lose a letter and the place we’re talking about is not quite as exotic as Nepal, but Katmandu Park in beautiful Magaluf, Mallorca is way more fun for families and won’t give you altitude sickness!
Magaluf has long been a family favourite holiday destination with a wealth of fun activities on offer and, of course, those fabulous beaches to sink your toes into. Though there’s so much to do, it’s been said that this unique attraction is one of Magaluf’s very best features.
Katmandu Park: Fabulous Family Fun
This fun-filled place is proud of its reputation as the “friendliest theme park in Europe” and the management and staff (check out their amazing steampunk outfits!) go out of their way to uphold their status. Built around the myths and legends of the Himalayas, this original theme park is jam-packed with games, rides, make-believe worlds, water park fun and so much more. For parents, there’s the chance to relax and let the kids run a little wild, and for children, well, it’s a place where almost anything seems possible.
No matter what age your little people are, there will always be something to entertain them at Katmandu Park.
- For the very little ones, the Katlantis soft play area is unlike any they have experienced before, with a range of slides and hideouts set around an interactive undersea theme.
- For older kids (recommended for 12+) what’s better than being scared out of your wits? The Asylum experience takes them on a terrifying (but fun) trek through a haunted adventure to encounter headless ghosts, brazen blackbirds, rampant bugs and an out-of-this-word 5D horror movie.
- More frights can be found in the Los Banditos XD Dark Ride, where the kids can battle it out with high-tech mutant robot bandits, complete with a laser shooting game. Hold on tight – who will win?
- It’s not all that scary though, and in the House of Magic the kids can join Thunder the cute and courageous ginger cat on his adventures, or climb aboard the 4D Experience on a wild ride through virtual reality.
- Other attractions include Desperados (cowboys with lasers!), Zombies XD Dark Ride (pretty self-explanatory…), Expedition Golf and much more! Only time will tell what will be your children’s favourites, but once thing’s for sure – they’ll have a whole lot of fun finding out.
Food and Drink
If you’re going to spend any amount of time in a park with this much to do, you need to be sure there’s plenty on offer to satisfy youthful appetites as well. Rest assured, little (and big) adventurers will not go hungry at the fabulous Snack Shack.
Kids can take their pick from a super menu of the best casual fare, including lip-smacking hamburgers, the perennial favourite hot-dogs, hot chips, sandwiches, toasties, nuggets, steaks, cold drinks, milkshakes and a whole host of other kid-friendly foods – there are even some healthy options if you can sneak them in. For the grown-ups, there’s a bar serving beers, wines and even cocktails, and you can also get hot beverages like tea, coffee and hot chocolate.
Top Tip: For an afternoon treat, the whole family can enjoy the famous creamy gelato flavours of Giovanni L. at Gelato Deluxe. It’s the perfect cool way to finish up the perfect hot day.
Where to Stay
Sol Katmandu Park & Resort – Get ready for the parents of the year award when you book your stay right in the Sol Katmandu Park & Resort itself! The spacious, comfortable rooms are just the beginning – the complex offers three pools, a themed restaurant and doorstep access to all the attractions. You’re also just a couple of minutes from the beach, the shops and very close to the Aquapark. Kids’ bliss!
Apartamentos Inn – Located straight opposite Katmandu and just a short walk from several beaches, Apartamentos Inn offers the perfect holiday home-from-home. The clean, modern apartments are light, spacious and have a kitchenette, and the onsite facilities include a dedicated children’s play area and their own shallow pool.
Sol Wave House – Set smack-bang on the beachfront at Magaluf Beach, Sol Wave House is the ultimate accommodation for a family break. If you’ve got beach crazy kids, all the better, because the rooms are surf themed and there’s even a wave machine where they can practice their surfing skills! Parents will love the onsite restaurant, poolside bar and entertainment programmes.
How to Get There
Getting the family to Magaluf doesn’t have to give you a headache. The easiest way to get there is to fly into Palma de Mallorca Airport (PMI) and, with ten airlines flying there from the UK more than 30 times a week, you’re bound to find one that suits your preferred timings and budget.
The last thing you want when travelling with kids is to get held up at the airport, so I recommend pre-booking a private or shared transfer with Shuttle Direct. Once you land, a friendly driver will get you from Palma de Mallorca to Magaluf in just 25 minutes, and everyone will arrive fresh and raring to get into the fun.
- UK to Palma de Mallorca (PMI) Flight Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- PMI to Magaluf Distance: 18 kilometres
- Shuttle Direct Transfer Time: 25 minutes
About Shuttle Direct
When you’re travelling with the family, Shuttle Direct has the answer for quick and convenient transport from the airport to your accommodation. We’ve got a range of shared and private shuttles to suit your style of travel as well as your budget. All you have to do is make a booking on our user-friendly website before you leave home (let us know if you need car seats for the littlies), then when you land we’ll be there to get you the rest of the way without delay.