What rhymes with party on the Costa del Sol? Puerto Banús that’s what! Even if you have to use a little poetic licence to make that literally true, this buzzing little place is one of Spain’s most favoured resorts to let it all hang out in style. While it’s long been renowned as a playground of the rich and famous, don’t be fooled: there’s just as much going on for the real people as well.
If you’re looking for somewhere to escape with a group of friends and let your hair down, here’s how to spend the days and party away the nights…
Sunny, Sandy Beach Days
It’s Spain; it’s the Costa del Sol; it’s beaches, naturally! You’ll be within easy access of three beaches that, while all wonderful in their own rights, are actually quite different.
Playa Rio Verde: This little beauty gets quite busy in the high season, but it’s still got a somewhat secluded feeling, owing to its access across the Rio Verde via a little wooden footbridge. It actually looks like its own little desert island, with the gentle waves of the ocean lapping its sandy shore – only this desert island has its own beachside bar. Result! It’s great for sunbathing and socialising, but get there early for a spot.
Playa Nueva Andalucía: If you’re looking for party central you’ve found it! This beach is actually made up of several connected bays, and the central Los Espigones area is where young people go to see and be seen. Oh, and drink, swim, sunbathe, play and party.
Playa Puerto Banús: This lovely one-kilometre stretch of sand is also known as Playa de Levante. A warning if you’re going for some serious chill or to nurse a hangover: it’s very popular with young families due to the calm, protected waters. There’s a great restaurant there though, so if you need some respite you won’t need to go far.
Bold, Boozy Nights
Ok, ok, a beautiful place to work on your tan is one thing, but we all know what we’re here for: the nightlife! Get glammed up and fired up because you’ve got plenty of choices.
- For an exotic and very luxurious night out, head to elegant Pangea, where you can get dressed to impress and soak up the beats and Moroccan-style décor. If you’re itching for a celebrity sighting this is the place to come, but be prepared to pay for your stylish experience.
- TIBU is one of the largest clubs in the region and if you like you music deep (house) and your drink tab deeper, you can relax on the terrace or get down and dirty inside. Free entry means more cash to splash!
- Linekers Lounge: Looking for a night away from the clubs? Head to Linekers to watch full on live sports on the big screens, listen to the great tunes of resident DJs and enjoy the vibrant party atmosphere of this fun and informal bar. You can even put a bet on if you’re feeling lucky…
- O’Grady’s Pub: While it might not have the panache of the posh clubs, there’s no shortage of friendly Irish atmosphere at O’Grady’s. You can sit at the bar for a quiet(ish) drink, or venture outside to watch some sports on the screens. This jovial place is popular with locals and tourists alike – so go out and meet some new friends!
Top Tip: If you’re on a bit of a budget but you still want the full ‘club’ experience at places like TIBU and Pangea, call ahead and organise a drinks package for your table to save a significant amount.
So there you have it: different day, different beach, different club. And all in the same fantastic resort…
Where to Stay
Hotel Pyr Marbella – You’ll be in the heart of the party action when you book into the fabulous Hotel Pyr Marbella. Just a short walk to the beach and close to bars, shops and restaurants, the spacious studios and apartments even feature a kitchen so you can save on food costs. With two pools, onsite dining and free Wi-Fi, you’re set for rest and play!
Apartment in Puerto Banus – Situated in nearby Marbella, this light and breezy apartment offers all the comforts of home for your holiday. There’s plenty of space to spread out and you can even relax on the private terrace and take in city and sea views. The property comes with free Wi-Fi, air conditioning and a swimming pool on site.
Jardines Del Puerto – Taking in lovely city views from your own private terrace, the well-equipped Jardines Del Puerto apartment is situated in a central location so you can party every night. With an amazing outdoor pool and gardens in the complex, you can wake up late and take your pick from beach fun, exploring the sights of Marbella, or just lazing around getting ready for your next big night out.
How to Get There
Getting to Puerto Banús is simple and it certainly won’t cost you the earth for that spontaneous getaway. It’s under three hours flying time from UK airports and you’ll have a great choice of budget carriers to get you there, including Sun Air, which offers super cheap flights.
Once you’re on the ground, I recommend a pre-booked shared shuttle from Shuttle Direct to get you from Malaga to Puerto Banús. The journey takes about 45 minutes by road and it’s so much less hassle than fighting with public transport. Less trouble, more time to party!
- UK to Malaga Airport Flight Time: 2 hours 45 minutes
- Malaga Airport (AGP) to Puerto Banús: 59 kilometres
- Shuttle Direct Transfer Time: 44 minutes
About Shuttle Direct
If you want to get the party started as soon as possible, Shuttle Direct can help get you to wherever you need to go. We’ve got a range of shared and private shuttles to take you from the airport to your accommodation smoothly and for the best price. Make a quick and easy online booking before you leave home and we’ll do the rest!